February 17, 2010

February 17: Steamed Broccoli in Oyster Sauce

 

1 medium head of broccoli, cut up into bite-sized chunks
metal steamer basket
1/4 cup beef broth
2 Tbs. oyster sauce
sesame seeds

Place cut up broccoli into metal steamer basket.  Into pot below add oyster sauce and broth.  Cover whole
pot with lid and steam for 3-5 minutes on high heat, until broccoli is tender but not overdone.  Toss with reduced both and sesame seeds.

**You can buy oyster sauce at any supermarket in the oriental section.  It is not fishy tasting.  Be daring and try it.

Conversation starter: What's your favorite thing to do on the weekend with your family members?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Do your children help you cook?

I might have mentioned that I was working with my two teenage daughters in the cooking department. I was wondering if you cooked with your kids, what type of things they enjoy cooking OR if you had any suggestions for cooking something that might be simple, yet still teach multiple steps.

Mary DeMuth said...

Yes, they do, but I need to be more direct about it. They're usually nearby, and I teach them on the fly. I should conduct classes!

Anonymous said...

Very good - now I have something to do with my left over oyster sauce and broccoli - which is one of the few greens I can get some of my kids to eat.